Viva Urbania!
Sometimes it nice to not get Thai food, just because of the fact that it is available. :P
So a week ago, a couple from Burns and I took a wee little trip over to Portland. They are from New York and are thus experiencing a bit of cabin fever. Then I have found out that in the past two years of them being here, they had never taken a trip to Portland... for fun! HOW DARE THEY!!! It's only one of the best cities in the world. So, I took it upon myself to show them how great it could be.
But, ... could I kill two birds with one stone? How about 3? How about 5? I thought I could... it almost killed me. I thought, "Hey, I'm going to Portland for a friend of mine's wedding at the end of February, Why not do this then?"... then I forgot that i had to get my car fixed, then I forgot that friends from all over were going to come in and told them I'd take care of them while they were here... then I forgot I had to make travel plans with my travel agent (love ya Julia) for a three week trip this summer... and then on top of this I was determined to be a tour guide and visit as many happy hour spots and classic Portland locations within this 5 day period...
Sound bad? Yeah, busy busy busy... but in the end it was an awesome trip! Here are the shots of the festivities that ensued.
On the drive from bend to Portland, we took the Santiam Pass and as we drove by Detroit lake, I had to get some shots of it. It's actually looking more like Detroit River... The water line must have been down by about 100 feet!
We saw an otter and I tested out the capabilities of my telephoto lens.
Pyper came too!
That's Bernard. At the dam.
So we arrived in Portland at about 6 pm, had dinner at my parents house, and then took off for a late night happy hour at Hopworks Brewery. Super deliciousness.

Next day: Multnomah Falls. The plan was to go out in service. This... didn't happen. Why you may ask? Well, after thinking about it, i thought to myself, " Self, you're up by a month. You can handle the 20 hours you are behind this month." ... and thus the poor reasoning begins. It was a pretty day too. :P
Bernard and Sally at the falls.
So, at the bridge, we decided to go to the top!... Sally + heels = not a fun hike for her.
moss!
trees!
The small falls right before it dumps over the edge.
No matter where we go, even the top of one of the highest falls in the country... we can't escape Chong.
Saw a rainbow.
On the drive back, we met up with Sean Kelley and went to McMinamins Edgefield brewery. Had some good food, met the brewmaster, got a tour of the brewery and checked out the Red Shack (Edgefield's Scotch den).
that night we went to get Korean food and then went to go pick up Jordan knight at the airport around 11 pm. The next morning, The Heljeneks, myself and Jordan decided to go to the Japanese Gardens. I actually hadn't been in years so it was a nice trip. we wanted to walk around the Rose Garden Grounds and see the Holocaust museum, bu there are only so many hours in the day...
The Pavillion
Sally outside the Pavillion overlooking the rock garden.
The backside of the Pavillion emerges to give you a view of Downtown Portland.
It was a little drizzly. Made for good pictures.
Jordan, Bernard and Sally
Dumb flash...
Who's that guy? :D
At the tea house... wish they actually HAD SOME TEA. Meanies...
"You're a tiger, your and aaaaaaaaangry tiger! Raaarrrrr!!!!" She just couldn't hold it together.
So the boys decided to give it a go. Greatness.
That night we went to Marrakesh. An authentic Moroccan food restaurant. The groups all came together here. So many people who are serving where the need is greater showed up. Elsie and Hannah who are back making some money so that they can go back to Ecuador, Jordan Knight serving in Marquette, MI, David Schlag and Sean Kelley serving in Fossil, OR, the Heljenecks serving in Burns, OR, myself, and we were also going to have a brother serving in Ocean Shores, WA, the Lemlers, and we also had Michael and Talayna Kribs who recently got married and are great friends. All in all made for an amazing group of people.
Saturday was the wedding. Told the Heljeneks that they were on their own and all us MTS boys got together and got ready. Here's Jordan getting his usher's flower. :P
The red totally clashed with my tie. grrrr...
Chris Riding and Misael Calderon both came down from Seattle for the wedding.
It was almost more like an MTS reunion than a wedding. Even Chong decided to show up from Houston!
Misael, Aaron, Jordan and Sean
Week 5, Day 4. That's were this all got started.
I guess we were proud of our boy up there.
The rings.
The reception was at an old school... hence the name "The Olde School".
Is Jordan already dancing?
We all had our own assigned seat.
Cup cakes!
THe reception hall. Totally not to fire code. 250+ people... one small door, half blocked by a table. If a fire broke out, you'd never be reading this....
JJ and Jennifer arrives.
Even PANTER showed up!Nice!
Misael, Jordan, Chris, David and Sean
Just like old times...
The first dance.
Arron and Misael
Getting some advice on my Words with Friends game.
THe MTS BOYS!... minus Chong. Aaron, Misael, Jordan, JJ, Chris, Ryan, Sean, David and me.
Smile Schalg!
Somebody doesn't want to dance...
On their way out. Good job guys.
Whew... I think I am caught up...
Maybe I'll get my bathroom finished up someday to be able to show you guys pictures... Dont' count on it. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment